The semi-coherent, occasionally amusing, usually grammatically correct ramblings of a recovering English major.

31 March 2007

"such sweet-complaining grievance" the two gentlemen of verona: iii, ii

I would really prefer it if the portmanteau-word "ginormous" would disappear completely from the American lexicon. I can't explain why, but it irritates the hell out of me, almost as much as hearing the Austin-Powers-inspired phrase "YEEAH, Baby!" exclaimed by a douchetastic frat-boy. I guess I don't feel as though the word ginormous adds any value or color to the language; in fact, if anything, it feels to me as though it detracts from the language.

I'm sitting at the bar at a tea shop right now, and I am loathe to confess this but I need to get it off my chest -- instead of studying for the last hour an a half as I intended to do when I came in here, I spent it purusing a copy of JANE magazine that someone had left here. That's an hour and a half of my life that will never be restored. I just feel fortunate that I was able to stop myself before delving into the LUCKY magazine that was underneath it. Man, it is like eating M&Ms.

Meanwhile, I am trying to tamp down all the knowlege I already have in my head about tempering chocolate so I can make room for more. As soon as I think I have learned all that I could need to know to succeed in this class, more information is presented. The class is extremely interesting and I find the work supremely gratifying, but it is pretty intense, to say the least.

On the bright side, I feel pretty relaxed today, and am hoping I will have a nice sleep through the night and will wake up tomorrow feeling ready to go.

Well, back to the books.

3 comments:

V. said...

I know how you feel. I am endeavoring to reach a point in my grasp of the English language that I am comfortable not having to swear. I don't have the problem with ginormous, but I do say like an awful lot and so I can feel your pain.

My M&M reading is Men's Health.

Anonymous said...

and just when you thought you were getting out of the procrastinator's nation, the chick magazines pulled you right back to us. One day at the gym I got off the elliptical and realized I knew more about Jessica Simpson and her take on dating post-lachey than I do about Accounting. It's like I was possessed - I don't remember doing it, I just found myself reading the last sentence and realized I read the whole damn article. (This is Jenny)

Nicky said...

Jenny -- Were you supposed to be studying when you were reading this blog??