The semi-coherent, occasionally amusing, usually grammatically correct ramblings of a recovering English major.

28 November 2006

"sing, and dance it trippingly." a midsummer night's dream: v, i

So tonight I was given a ticket to see "Movin' Out;" the touring show was at our local performing arts center. All I knew going in was that they took the music of Billy Joel and made a musical. I think that's a little misleading, though, because what they actually did was take the music of Billy Joel, have a kid on stage with a piano and a band singing his songs, and made a ballet. Not to say it was bad - the cast was quite talented and all in all, the dancing was quite good, even excellent at times. But there were points, I must say, where I felt like I might be watching the final dance scene from Center Stage, the movie about ballet dancers at Juliard or wherever, where there's the young upstart choreographer/dancer, who has all these ideas, man, and the stodgy old school won't let him try them out, until his final presentation at the end of term, where he gets to show his stuff, and the asshole drives his actual motorcycle on stage (there is a scene in "Movin' Out" where a car is driven on stage!). I guess I felt like there were times when the choreography was a little too literal, is all. But a lot of it was very good, and all in all, I was won over; and let it be said that I am not a "musicals" kind of gal, even though we have already established that it wasn't really a musical but instead a ballet with live vocalists. But, just for the record, according to the synopsis in the program, one of the characters "becomes her own woman," which apparently means changing into a red dress, dancing with a lot of guys all at once, and then becoming a stripper. Oh, and then settling down with a nice boy. So if you wondered what it meant to "be your own woman," now you know. Just FYI.

Oh, also Katie tagged me on another meme. Answers forthcoming.

No comments: